Monday, August 6, 2007

Altered Multi Media Portraits


This was my first attempt at "altered portraits" from Karen Michel's class last Saturday at The Artists Nook in Fort Collins. It started with a magazine advertisement collaged over other decorative papers, mostly text. I then painted the "portrait" using the original lights and darks in the photo. It started out as a bad dream after eating too much Thai food, but by continuing to follow Karen's instructions, it turned out to be something I like. It was harder than it looked, but a very interesting way to use all those faces I am drawn to in advertisements, but not really for the picture itself but for the architecture of the faces. This technique uses the basic structure of the face to build on in which ever way you wish, realistic, dramatic, artistic, painterly, wild, surrealistic, well we could go on. . . Wonder if you could do it in pointilism? That would be a challenge! This is scanned in and the painting is too big for my scanner. I'll post the full size painting when I get a bit of time to take some photos.

4 comments:

Karen Campbell said...

I think this looks so cool, Terry ... like a bird sprite -- in the forest :)

Joanne Huffman said...

Terry, I just discovered your bog. It's neat to see your work all together. I love the CJ work and I already told you I love this portrait. It's got a great surrealist quality. I totally agree with your statement about art being part of all of us.
Joanne

Tejae: Heart Shaped Art said...

Terry, great work!!

Val Foster said...

This is very neat. It does look like a bird sprite, as Karen wrote. You're learning a lot of great artistic skills at the Nook, and it shows in your work.