Sunday, February 7, 2010

Winter Banners

I participated in a great swap with one of my wonderful yahoo art groups where we made fabric banners in shades of white and a bit of blue to celebrate winter. I have tried to show them in my dining room window with the snow falling behind them. I was not very successful, but it does add to the wintery scene.
Here is my contribution to the swap. I used a base fabric, layered a thin layer of fleece and then added stripes of different white on white fabrics with silver lame and a pretty silver print on cotton fabric. I also used a couple of stripes where I added sequins between the fabric and an overlayer of shimmery tule. Those sequins had a mind of their own and went where they wanted, but over all it turned out okay. I added some random machine stitching with metallic thread in a turquoise and silver. I added a long dangle of beads that were meant to be icicles for the Christmas tree at the point. Oh, and some vintage silver ric rac I have had stashed around forever. This was the perfect project for it. They are all so beautiful, every person had a different idea and the variety of techniques and elements was amazing. They are a bunch of amazing artists. Anyone that can make a piece of art out of a few bits of fabric is amazing.


No comments: